Any law enforcement agency or plaintiff may request assistance with the following activities:
- Pre-Seizure Consultation— Datajockeys can help with search warrant preparation as it applies to digital evidence by advising on related language that should be included in the affidavit.
- On-Site Seizure and Collection— Requests for this type of assistance should be made a minimum of 72 hours in advance (the more lead time the better). On occasion, a client will uncover digital evidence that they are unprepared to manage. Under these circumstances, the advance notice requirement is waived. Once Datajockeys evaluates the search request, the case is assigned to an Examiner for action.
- Duplication, Storage and Preservation of Electronic Equipment and other Digital Evidence— Examinations are typically conducted on copies of the original evidence. Therefore, Datajockeys Examiners, can either duplicate the media on-site, or they will bring the electronic equipment to the laboratory where they will duplicate the media and perform the examination. There is a monthly storage fee per cubic foot of equipment being held for the case to process.
- Prompt, Accurate, and Impartial Examinations of Digitally Stored Media— Datajockeys Examiners are scientists—and as such, their job is to conduct a thorough and objective examination of an electronic device to locate digital evidence and turn it into something that the investigator can review. It is not the Examiner’s responsibility to analyze the data for its meaning or significance to the investigation. This impartiality and objectivity lends credibility to both their findings and subsequent court testimony.
- Courtroom Testimony— As records are recovered from seized digital evidence, the prosecutor or client's attorney is likely to direct the Examiner to introduce the computer or digital evidence into court. As an expert witness, the Examiner explains under oath, how they conducted the examination and what they discovered as a result.
We have a "Forensic Best Practices" paper available for you to review. Please read it thoroughly. If you have any questions, please call 503-356-9101.